“Having access to ability fitness will help me reach my goal of becoming more physically active and independent. I also truly believe that it will help me network with other people that face the same daily challenges as I do. I am very excited for it to become a meeting place where friendships can be created and memories will live on forever.” -Amy S.
Opening September 1st, 2017!
To create a therapeutic fitness and wellness center with expert clinicians and specialized equipment that will provide access to innovative, customized, and activity based interventions for people with neurologic and developmental disabilities.
Who We Are:
Ability Fitness Center is a nonprofit, community-based, center focusing on activity-based interventions that increase functional ability for individuals with spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, stroke, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease, cerebral palsy, balance disorders, developmental disabilities, and other neurological conditions.
- Our intensive recovery interventions are aimed at generating the greatest level of independence and recovery possible. Our interventions are based on the expanding science of neuroplasticity, which states that the brain is able to reorganize itself with increased repetition of previously learned patterns
- Ability Fitness Center understands that no two conditions are exactly alike and no two people respond the same way. As a result, we custom design each program for each client based on his or her particular needs and we continually adjust your program to ensure maximum gain. Our program is not designed to take the place of physical therapy or traditional rehabilitation; instead we have designed it to be an adjunct to them.
- Our fitness center aims at creating a safe, welcoming, inclusive place for all individuals with neurological and developmental disabilities.
In 2011, I was involved in an accident which left me a C4 quadriplegic. This means that I do not have the ability to move any of my muscles from my chest down, including every muscle in my arms, except for my biceps.
As a result, getting exercise requires me to ask for help to do the simplest of items. Opening a facility which will enable those like myself to help maintain their health will do much more than simply provide physical benefits.
Having a center for our population to share their stories can go along way towards improving not only their physical life but also their mental health. I cannot stress the importance of a community fitness center of this type. – Freddie H.
*To read more about Freddie and his mission to help this population, CLICK HERE
Goals of the center:
- Improve Quality of Life
- Maximize Functional Independence
- Achievement of Optimal Health
- Increase Bone Density
- Improve Flexibility & Muscle Strength
- Improve Balance and Walking ability
- Improve Posture and Positioning
- Decrease Muscle Spasms and Contractures
- Prevention of Diseases & Complications related to Sedentary Lifestyle
- Increase overall fitness and wellness
- Spinal Cord Injury (SCI)
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Cerebral Palsy (CP)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Balance Disorders
- Developmental Disabilities
- Other (If you do not see your condition listed, please do not hesitate to CONTACT US to discuss if Ability Fitness is an option for you.
Why is this needed?
The last 20 years have seen a large decrease in the length of hospital stays, acute rehabilitation and even outpatient visits for neurological injuries. During this same time period researchers have discovered the damaged nervous system has a much greater potential to recover function than previously believed. Our goal is to provide the expertise, equipment, and time necessary for better outcomes. At the same time, individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities often have a hard time finding a fitness center where they can be accommodated, supported, and welcome.
Monthly membership to Ability Fitness Center includes:
- 5 one-on-one sessions with our neurologically trained therapists;
- Full access to our center Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm (as space is available);
- Membership cost will be $500 per month. We have scholarship opportunities available, please CLICK HERE for more information.