To create a therapeutic fitness and wellness center with expert physical therapists and specialized equipment that will provide access to innovative, customized, and activity based interventions for people with neurologic disabilities.
Who We Are:
Ability Fitness Center is a nonprofit, community-based, center focusing on activity-based interventions that increase functional recovery for individuals experiencing paralysis from spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, stroke, and other neurological conditions.
- Our intensive recovery interventions are aimed to generate the greatest level of independence and recovery possible. Our interventions are based on the expanding science of neuroplasticity, which states that the brain is able to reorganize itself with increased repetition of previously learned patterns
- Ability Fitness Center understands that no two injuries are exactly alike and no two people respond the same way. As a result, we custom design each program for each client based on his or her particular needs and we continually adjust your program to ensure maximum gain. Our program is not designed to take the place of physical therapy or traditional rehabilitation; instead we have designed it to be an adjunct to them.
Goals of the center:
- Improved Quality of Life
- Maximized Functional Independence
- Achievement of Optimal Health
- Increased Bone Density
- Improved Flexibility & Muscle Strength
- Improved Balance and Walking ability
- Improved Posture and Positioning
- Decreased Muscle Spasms and Contractures
- Prevention of Diseases & Complications related to Sedentary Lifestyle.
- Spinal Cord Injury (SCI)
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Cerebral Palsy (CP)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Balance Disorders
- Other (If you do not see your condition listed, please do not hesitate to CONTACT US to discuss if NeuroMax is an option for you.
Why is this needed?
The last 20 years have seen a large decrease in the length of hospital stays, acute rehabilitation and even outpatient visits for neurological injuries. During this same time period researchers have discovered the damaged nervous system has a much greater potential to recover function than previously believed. Our goal is to provide the expertise, equipment, and time necessary for better outcomes.
Membership to Ability Fitness Center includes:
- A one-hour initial assessment
- Development of a fitness program based upon the initial assessment
- Re-assessment after 90 days of participation
- Once the assessment process is complete, participants can access the program anytime during normal business hours (Monday thru Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm) as space is available (limited to max of 3 patients per hour).
- Additional individual sessions will be scheduled as needed/appropriate.
- Cost: $500/month – this will include 5 one-on-one sessions with open gym time/equipment usage (as space is available).