“Having access to ability fitness will help me reach my goal of becoming more physically active and independent. I also truly believe that it will help me network with other people that face the same daily challenges as I do. I am very excited for it to become a meeting place where friendships can be created and memories will live on forever.” -Amy S.
Opening September 1st, 2017! Complete an application HERE.
To create a therapeutic fitness and wellness center with expert clinicians and specialized equipment that will provide access to innovative, customized, and activity based interventions for people with neurologic and developmental disabilities.
Who We Are:
Ability Fitness Center is a nonprofit, community-based, center focusing on activity-based interventions that increase functional ability for individuals with spinal cord injuries, brain injuries, stroke, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease, cerebral palsy, balance disorders, developmental disabilities, and other neurological conditions.
- Our intensive recovery interventions are aimed at generating the greatest level of independence and recovery possible. Our interventions are based on the expanding science of neuroplasticity, which states that the brain is able to reorganize itself with increased repetition of previously learned patterns
- Ability Fitness Center understands that no two conditions are exactly alike and no two people respond the same way. As a result, we custom design each program for each client based on his or her particular needs and we continually adjust your program to ensure maximum gain. Our program is not designed to take the place of physical therapy or traditional rehabilitation; instead we have designed it to be an adjunct to them.
- Our fitness center aims at creating a safe, welcoming, inclusive place for all individuals with neurological and developmental disabilities.
Goals of the center:
- Improve Quality of Life
- Maximize Functional Independence
- Achievement of Optimal Health
- Increase Bone Density
- Improve Flexibility & Muscle Strength
- Improve Balance and Walking ability
- Improve Posture and Positioning
- Decrease Muscle Spasms and Contractures
- Prevention of Diseases & Complications related to Sedentary Lifestyle
- Increase overall fitness and wellness
- Spinal Cord Injury (SCI)
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Cerebral Palsy (CP)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Balance Disorders
- Developmental Disabilities
- Other (If you do not see your condition listed, please do not hesitate to CONTACT US to discuss if Ability Fitness is an option for you.
Why is this needed?
The last 20 years have seen a large decrease in the length of hospital stays, acute rehabilitation and even outpatient visits for neurological injuries. During this same time period researchers have discovered the damaged nervous system has a much greater potential to recover function than previously believed. Our goal is to provide the expertise, equipment, and time necessary for better outcomes. At the same time, individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities often have a hard time finding a fitness center where they can be accommodated, supported, and welcome.
Membership to Ability Fitness Center includes:
- A one-hour initial assessment
- Development of a fitness program based upon the initial assessment
- Re-assessment after 90 days of participation
- Once the assessment process is complete, participants can access the program anytime during normal business hours (Monday thru Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm) as space is available.
- Additional individual sessions will be scheduled as needed/appropriate.